- Amount of storage required - This will depend on how many cameras you want around your home and how long you want to store your images.
- How many channels are available - Each camera requires its own channel. the amount of channels on an NVR can range from 4 to 256. Typically you will need between 4 - 16 channels.
- User friendly - You want a system that you can easily configure, navigate and understand.
- If the camera is for outside use then obviously the camera needs to be waterproof. If its being mounted lower then it needs to be vandal resistant. An external camera will usually have a IP rating stating it resistance to the elements e.g. rain or dust.
- For internal use the camera obviously wont need to be any of these things. They usually come as cube or box cameras.
- The quality of your camera means the better the image will be, but this will depend on your budget.
- IR technology will allow you to see images in the dark, this can be built into the camera or not. Effective IR will be limited depending on the quality, of the camera, always check the specifications.